The Super 8 Munich West (by Wyndham)
Adress: Landsberger Str. 270, 80687 Munich, Germany
Telephone: +49 (0) 89 558 983 70
- Munich International (MUC) – 40 km / 25 mi (ca. 30-45 min by car, 45-55 min by public transport)
- Memmingen Airport (FMM) (aka Munich West) – 108 km / 67 mi (ca. 1 hour by car, 2 hrs. by public transport)
The Super 8 Munich West (by Wyndham) is one of two Super 8 hotels in Munich. The hotel is not located in the inner city, but has a very good connection to the city centre as well as to Munich International airport, as the urban rail station is around the corner. The hotel has double rooms, a rather small lounge with a coffeshop and a quite huge breakfast room. The Super 8 is located in Munich’s west, a mostly residential district. It’s clear this hotel is made for business travellers and travellers on a budget.
There are only double rooms available, which can be also used for single occupancy. The hotel is mid sized compared to the number of rooms. All rooms feature en suite baths with a shower, a hairdryer, and bath amenities (bulk).
The Super 8 Munich West Hotel doesn’t feature a full restaurant, but there is a small coffeeshop in the lobby, where you can order a beverage and a snack. Ideal for business travellers to meet after a day full of work and have a drink before going to bed.
The Super 8 Munich West is a well rated business/mid-range hotel. It gets good ratings in the different portals:
- Trivago: 8.3 out of 10.0 (Very Good)
- Tripadvisor: 4.0 out of 5.0 (Very Good)
- Hotelscombined: 7.8 out of 10.0 (Good)
What people like:
- The close proximity to the urban rail station Laim (good connections to the city centre and Munich International Airport)
- The breakfast
- The cleanliness of the rooms and the good work of the housekeeping staff
What people dislike:
- the loud and sometimes crowded breakfast room
- visitors sometimes indicate that the reception staff is not always 100% polite and courteous
- The lack of parking possibilities (on-street metered parking; too few parking spots available)
What to know:
- The Super 8 Munich West doesn’t have a full restaurant. But you can order drinks and snacks at the lobby coffeeshop/bar.
- The district around the hotel is a residential district so there are not as many possibilities to go out dining around the hotel as you would get at a more centrally located hotel.
- 24/7 reception
- Free WiFi in rooms and lobby
- Breakfast available (ca. 9 EUR / 10 USD per person and day)
- Bath amenities
- In-room safe
- Free coffee/tea
- Air conditioning & heating
- Cable/Satellite TV
Laim is located in the western part of the city and mainly a residential district. Additionally there are some industrial/commercial areas (mainly car garages, car dealers) along Landsberger Street. This street (also named Bundesstraße 2 – Federal Road No. 2) is a major road for commuters. So expect lot’s of rush hour traffic during weekdays.
restaurants and bars are available but limited. Most of the restaurants and bars can be found in Fürstenrieder Street.
The best options for dining out in walking distance to the Super 8 Munich West are a steakhouse (Asado), an Italian restaurant (Il Cortile), a Greek restaurant (Tou Bakali), and a Chinese restaurant (Hakeyo House).
Fast food options are also avilable. Within walking distance you will find Mc Donalds, Döner Kebab (Beste Döner) and a bit further a Subway.
Coffeshops: There is a coffeeshop (San Francisco Coffee Company – SFCC) ca. 350 metres / 380 yards from the hotel.
There are supermarkets within walking distance. You will find a REWE (normal supermarket) and an ALDI (discount supermarket) ca. 700 metres / 770 yards from the hotel near the commuter station.
Is the area safe?
Yes, the area and quarter around the Super 8 Munich West is generally a safe area. Yet its is not a prosperous quarter with wealthy inhabitants. Further uptown Landsberger Street (approx. 700 metres / 770 yards) there is a brothel and a nightclub/table dance club. This area might not be suitable for children and families during the nighttime.
The Super 8 Munich West (by Wyndham) is a good business/mid-range hotel. As it is located in Munich’s Laim district you can expect lower prices than for hotels in the inner city of Munich. Prices per double room start at ca. 55 USD per night in the low season and can reach approx. 150 USD in the high season. Of course there are some dates thoughout the year where Munich hotels are nearly fully booked (e.g. trade fairs). Prices can then rise to ca. 220 USD per room and night for the Super 8, too.
You can book directly via the official website:
Getting to the Super 8 Munich West is really easy. You can get there
- By public transport
The urban rail (S-Bahn) station “Laim” is literally just around the corner. From there you have direct connections to the Main Station and City Centre (Lines S1, S2, S4, S6, S7 and S8) and Munich International Airport (Lines S1 and S8)
- By taxi/limousine service
Choose your favourite transport service and the driver will bring you to the hotel.
- By (rental) car
The hotel is quite easy to reach. Be aware that the parking situation is quite bad. Only on-street-parking (metered), but often you won’t find any free space.
I had the opportunity to fully test a standard double room with breakfast. To see if I would recommend this hotel read my full review about the Super 8 Munich West (by Wyndham).